workplace mental health and wellbeing strategy
The creation of a customised, robust and evidence-informed strategy will benefit employers by providing:
- a scaffold to link together otherwise disparate supports and resources clear, consistent, positive messaging across all initiatives
- a logical decision-making framework related to mental health and wellbeing interventions and providers
- a strategic reference so that current resources and future interventions can be directed to create greatest impact
- demonstration of organisational commitment to employee’s mental health and wellbeing
- a document that highlights the importance of shared responsibility in effective mental health programs
- a reference to help employers comply with health and safety laws in relation to psychological health
Numerous studies have also referenced other benefits including employee engagement, productivity uplift and return on investment. Australian businesses generate an average return of $2.30 for every $1 they invest in effective workplace mental health strategies.
We will initially engage in a process of discovery and best practice mapping. We gain understanding of organisational context and match existing interventions and supports against evidence about best practice models to identify strengths and areas for development.
Based on an integrated approach to workplace mental health (Promote, Protect, Support), Human Leadership will create a workplace mental health and wellbeing strategy, customised and with defined objectives including targets and actions around the following themes:
- Risk Reduction
psychosocial risk assessment and planning
People at Work measures psychosocial hazards and factors – the things that both positively and negatively impact health and wellbeing of employees. These are based on a comprehensive review of job demands and job resources that have been studied in occupational health literature (control, demands, relationships, culture, general wellbeing).
Administration of an evidence-informed survey offers significant benefits:
- results can be utilised to facilitate the creation of a customised and responsive mental health strategy and interventions
- resources can be directed to create greatest impact
- ability to benchmark employee health and wellbeing against national norms
- focus on management of work-related psychosocial risk and prevention of psychological injury
- communication of a clear message to workers that their organisation values their health and wellbeing
- taking positive steps towards complying with health and safety laws in relation to psychological health
Introductory communication shared with employees describing survey objectives, context, and intent.
The survey will be administered through survey monkey and will take employees approximately 15 minutes to complete. Survey link will be open for two weeks in order to allow all employees including those who work part time/flexible hours the opportunity to complete.
Individual survey results will be completely confidential. Human Leadership will analyse data, and provide a comprehensive report outlining survey results, comparison with national norms, and including high level recommendations.
A communications framework will benefit employers by providing:
- normalisation of the conversation about mental health and wellbeing
- a demonstration of sustained commitment to employee mental health and wellbeing
- an opportunity to promote resources and increase uptake in health and wellbeing initiatives
- increase in mental health literacy
- reduction in stigma related to mental illness
- increase in help seeking
The framework is aligned with Mindframe guidelines, designed for safe and de-stigmtising language relating to mental illness. Communications include key messaging and resources, and suggested author (executive, HR, OHS etc.) and audience (managers, all staff). The framework is multimedia, including links to existing evidence-based resources (e.g. Emails, podcasts, fact sheets, videos, posters). The framework can be customised to reflect existing internal strategies, interventions, and branding.
We offer face to face and online training options for clients across Australia and New Zealand.
healthy minds at work (for people leaders)
- signs and symptoms of mental illness in the workplace
- confidence in having mental health conversations
- adjustments to role for employees with mental illness
- strategies for supporting employees on sickness leave
- resources within and outside of the workplace
- manager’s role creating and maintaining healthy culture
mindset (for all staff)
Presented by Craig Semple
One-hour, motivational introduction to occupational mental illness through a `Lived Experience’ presentation. This presentation provides real life insight into workplace psychological injury and the consequences of failing to seek early help.
Craig will take participants on a journey through his career in law enforcement and his battle with workplace mental illness. Participants of this compelling presentation will learn the signs and symptoms of mental illnesses, common maladaptive coping strategies and the risks of sustained extreme stress in the workplace.
This presentation is an effective, practical way to motivate staff to identify mental health symptoms, encourage benefits of help seeking behaviours and to build a positive and inclusive workplace culture of peer support.
mental health first aid
Two-day course (delivered face to face).
Mental health first aid is the help provided to a person who is developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. Participants learn skills and gain confidence to assist friends, family and co-workers experiencing mental health problems.
- Great learning environment and tools for leaders
- Great facilitator, very respectful
- The facilitator was effective and shows great knowledge and passion, extremely beneficial
- Thank you for an informative session.
- I enjoyed your facilitation style and the personal touches you added with the stories and personal experiences
- I really benefited from today’s session to give me confidence to have conversations
- Excellent – All employees should attend. I am grateful for this training